[twsocket] Re: Application freezing when getting data

Raptor G g_ates@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:48:06 EEST

The winsock is optimized for 4kb. That's the size IE and IIS is using; if
you disassemble you will see. And I do not thing win2000 is any different
because it uses the same winsock, winsock 2 as other windowses.

Regards,

RaptorG

From: Rik Barker <r-barker@visionsoft.co.uk>
To: twsocket@elists.org
Subject: RE: [twsocket] Re: Application freezing when getting data
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:28:58 +0100

 >> I was curious as to why you think my method of sending the stream is
bad.
 >> It has all worked absolutely fine for me from the day I wrote it.
 >
 >Sorry, I did not mean it is bad. It is just that if you send the stream at
 >once, TWSocket will buffer it all, and if it is a stream of several
 >megabytes then it will allocate that memory. So depending on the size of
the
 >stream and how many streams are sended the same time it can be a lot
memory
 >consumed.

Doh!  Should have thoght of that.  Thanks.

 >I don't know if it's faster than sending all at once, but I did had long
 >time ago some experiments sending blocks of different size and it takes
out
 >that 4K was best performance as sending buffer.

I wonder if that's an OS issue.  Perhaps the figure is 4K for Windows 95
and 8K for Windows 2000.  I'll check that out when I get the time.

Thanks Wilfried.

Rik.

Disclaimer
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this
email is strictly prohibited.