[twsocket] Re: Application freezing when getting data

SARGENT JEREMY JSARGENT@singular.gr
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:33:17 +0300

He didn't say it was bad but I would :)

If you stick everything in memory you could grind your
application down to a crawling pace because the more
memory that is consumed the more hits will occur on
the swap memory. That's pretty important on NT's as
the page files can really take a beating if you hit
some limits. You can see it with NT PerfMon.

As a memory killer example you try reading TQueries
with large datasets on BDE and you'll kill NT.
(You can avoid it by setting the undirectional
property to false.)

Also if you try to send all your data in one chunk
you will find that you have no idea of how much data
would have been received until the end of the transmission.
That's good for your application and for your protocol.