[twsocket] Re: Application freezing when getting data

Christoph Purrucker gugi@bigfoot.de
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:09:06 +0200


Hello everyone,

first thanks for your help, but I see I'm not as
good in English as I should be ;-) because of some
(for me) confusing facts in your answers:

1. to Raptor G:
> As far as i could understand, all you need to
> do is to first write the data
> to a file on the disc and then use the FTP server
> (the receiver computer)and
> clients (the picture uploader). Together they can satisfy a 10mbit LAN. If
> you decide to implement this and face problems please let me know. If you
> want I can give you the address of my program which demonstrates
> it all and
> I can also send you the code section you want. Once you get the logic you
> can transform it to Delphi. In my opinion, C++ and Object pascal are very
> similar.
> For small code snippets I can do the translation too. But I am not
> an expert in Delphi.

I really don't want to set up ftp client/server (a lot of work :-)
But if you could send me your code it would be fine!



2. to Davie and others:
> Although I AM A BIT SURPRISED that he encodeded the stuff into UUE.
> It made me
> smile when he said that, because it actually makes the files about
> 50% BIGGER.
> UUE BINHEX MIME and all the rest DO NOT make the files smaller.
> They make them
> bigger. They encode, NOT COMPRESS. So, now you say, geeez, why do that?
> Well the
> reason is they were developed for EMAIL systems that could ONLY
> send and recieve
> standard text characters. So, if you wanted to send a binary file,
> you were screwed. So the UUE/MIME etc... were made so that these
> binaries could be
> converted to a bunch of standard text stuff and then on the recipent
> end, they
> could DE-code the stuff back to the original binary file.
> THUS, EMAIL could
> send/recieve binary files!!!

I know UUEncoding makes the data not smaller but 4/3 of the former size.
The problem was that I thought TWSocket can *only* transmit 7 Bit... :-(
I thought of compressing either, but don't implemented it yet.

The time for UUEncoding - sending - UUDecoding for ~40 KBytes was 10 sec
and for ~2 MBytes it was - as I said - about 5 Minutes... really bad - I
know.



3. to Stephen Williams:
> How are you doing the actual send?  As one call to Send?  If so, then your
> application is locked because it is busy copying 2MB of data to the
> internal buffers of the TWSocket component which are then copied to the
> Winsock buffers.

I sent every line came from the UUEncoder (~70 Bytes) line by line...

> Break it into smaller chunks.  Say 4KB for example.

Ooops, I think I've too small chunks... :-(

> I recently wrote a
> TWSocket descendant that can send and/or receive a stream of any size in
> user-definable chunks.  The test application never locked up during
> the send or receive, even on very large files.
> It can even send and receive different streams at the same time.

Could you please send me some code examples?

> Even more bandwidth-efficient solution is to just send the painting
> commands to the other application.  For example:

Also a Good idea! But in my app there are changed big parts of a photo.



4. to Rik Barker:
> WSocket1.Send(ImageStream.Memory,ImageStream.size);
This is what I wanted to find... but how do I receive it?

cu cp