[twsocket] Application freezing when getting data

Davie smatters@smatters.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:18:48 -0500

I am not sure that the guy wants to use FTP. I sounds like he is writting an app
with TWsockets and wants full control over the UI and the flow of data. WHich
FTP is not really designed to do.FTP does what's it's designed to do pretty
well, not great, but pretty good. And for things it's NOT designed to do, it CAN
be a real chore to program around. He needs to decide the best method of data
transport and then stick with it.

Although I AM A BIT SURPRISED that he encodeded the stuff into UUE. It made me
smile when he said that, because it actually makes the files about 50% BIGGER.
UUE BINHEX MIME and all the rest DO NOT make the files smaller. They make them
bigger. They encode, NOT COMPRESS. So, now you say, geeez, why do that? Well the
reason is they were developed for EMAIL systems that could ONLY send and recieve
standard text characters. So, if you wanted to send a binary file, you were
screwed. So the UUE/MIME etc... were made so that these binaries could be
converted to a bunch of standard text stuff and then on the recipent end, they
could DE-code the stuff back to the original binary file. THUS, EMAIL could
send/recieve binary files!!!

But, if you have full control over the transmission of the data, NEVER use those
because it just makes for more data to send, of course if you want to ZIP it up
first, then you could do that I guess.

Davie