[twsocket] Application freezing when getting data

Davie smatters@smatters.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:55:51 -0500

Ok, first of all, you said the 40K file was slow???? How could that be
since you claim you are on a network that can handle 1MB per second.
Also the 2MB file should be able to send in 2 seconds based on what you
told me. So, JUST how long did it take the 40K and how long for the 2MB
file?

Also, I would personally NEVER send a big hi-color or true-color bitmap
across a transmission that didn't require PERFECT rendition. IE: Like
graphics off a web page. In that case, I would send a JPG file instead.
So, you could compress the 2MB file down to a 200K jpg file and then
send it. I would use a quality factor of about 80%. Also, if the image
in the bitmap is NOT very photographic, then you might consider
converting it to a GIF file instead and then sending the GIF file.

JPG files are great for photographic type stuff with lots of color
gradations and GIF is great for small amounts of coloring and line art
and charts and B&W stuff.

Have fun!

Davie