[twsocket] Application freezing when getting data

Christoph Purrucker gugi@bigfoot.de
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:45:25 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've got a client an a server application both
using TWSocket. On the server I can paint on a
TImage and save it to a TStringStream and push
it through an UUEncoder. Every line is now sent
to the client. There every line is decoded back
into a stream and then load back into a TImage.

If I transfer the image in black/white ~40 KBytes
it is slow but it works...
but on high-color and a resolution of 1024x768 it
is ~2 MBytes and the Application freezes.
If I insert a Sleep(100) before sending it works
but then it takes more than 5 minutes on a 10 MBit
ethernet.

My questions about that:
1.  Is there any possibility to make it faster
    (transfering it binary - but how?)
2.  How do it the big *professional* applications
    (like VNC; there are the souces available but
    I can't programm in c++)
3.  When a big server is sending for example HTML
    files a small browser client does not freeze
    - but why my client?
    (has TCP/IP not an overload protection?)

Thanks for any hints!

cu cp