[twsocket] Choosing safe port ...

Brandon Moro theviper007@usa.net
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 23:01:19 -0400

Well, to more accurately answer your question, only the server's listening
port matters.  As long as the client knows where to connect it doesn't
matter what port is used for communicating (for the client or the server).
Actually, servers usually only use that port for listening and then another
for actual communication (which Delphi's TServerSocket and TClientSocket
handle behind the scenes).

If you want client-to-client interaction (but on unknown ports), simply have
them all connect to your server telling the server what the client's listen
port is.  Then when another client connects the server sends it a list of
all other clients and their listening ports so that it can connect.  This
is, of course,  not usually what is wanted, but is certainly possible.

-Brandon

-----Original Message-----
From: twsocket-admin@elists.org [mailto:twsocket-admin@elists.org]On
Behalf Of Davie
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 4:02 PM
To: twsocket@elists.org
Subject: Re: [twsocket] Choosing safe port ...

QUESTION:

Let's pretend that there are only 5 ports available on a computer
and
that I have 5 computer that want to chat with each other. My one
server
is one port 1 and my other 4 PCS are on ports 2 , 3, 4, 5
respectfully.
So since the only available ports on the PCs are NOT the same
amongts
the group, then does that mean they can't all talk to each other????

I would assujme the asnwer would be correct.

So, then HOW does RealPlayer and others allow you to change the port
number to connect to. Does that mean THEIR server listens on ALL
ports???