[twsocket] Need Advice / Help on how to find the correct IP's

Wilfried Mestdagh wilfried_sonal@compuserve.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:25:48 +0200

Ralf,

Normally (if lan ip properly configured), the lan ip address should be a
private netwerk, and the internet ip address is a public one. Difference is
a private network is normally not routed. Private are:

class A (for very large networks):
10.0.0.0 / 8

class B (for large networks):
172.16.0.0 / 12

class C (small networks):
192.168.0.0 / 16

Note if someone does not untherstand: the /nn is the number of bits
belonging to the network. eg: the class B machines: is from 172.16.0.1 to
172.31.255.254

However, I have seen many LAN's with public addresses also because many
people (including the network administrators) does not know it.

rgds, Wilfried